So tonight I arrived home from work, after making a slight detour to the hardware store to pick up some things to work on a Halloween prop. After I started work on the prop, the phone rang… or did it… odd, the phone in the kitchen didn’t ring… the phone in the livingroom didn’t ring… but I did hear one phone ringing… After careful examination, I discovered the phones on the newer runs were all dead. Only the phones on the runs 20+ years old worked. I was afraid that the doorbell phone system had died and in its death killed the new runs… Palley had the solution though, “Hey Jerry mowed today, do you suppose he hit a wire?” OF COURSE!!! The new runs come in via a different newer cable running in an area that he would have had to trim, while the old lines come in on the porch. I ran out, and sure enough in the newly trimmed long grass along the side of the house lay the phone cable, ripped from its staples and stripped in a few spots. So, I grabbed my telecoms tool box, and the box of cat5. (it’s really nice having the tools for different jobs all sorted into separate tool boxes) Less than an hour later, I had ran a whole new line for both the main number and my old modem number back tot he punch down block in the house and phone service was restored. The new wire is stapled up much better than the old line (something I had been meaning to fix for years) and the phone quality is crystal clear.