This weekend I was asked to look at a computer that had been giving its owner a lot of trouble. They could not visit any HTTPS sites in IE, or AOL. The computer also could not install any patches / updates, it would complain about the patches not being able to be confirmed as coming from a trusted source.
The first problem, getting the HTTPS protocol to work was easy enough. That one I just had to re-register the urlmon.dll
That was accomplished with: regsvr32 urlmon.dll
That returned the abiltiy to browse https sites. It did not, however restore any abiltiy to install active X controlls, or install and of the downloaded windows updates. I did some more browsing, and came across a list of other DLL’s to re-register.
After these we re-registered (initpki.dll takes forever) I tried again and everything began to work as designed. I was able to install ALL system updates and patches. I was able to access ActiveX controls, and website viewed as they were designed to be.